In the Andes the Meaning of Apu is Sacred Mountain, God and Important Divinity. The Salkantay Trek is quickly becoming the most famous alternative trek to one of the new Seven Wonders of the World (Machu Picchu). The legendary Salkantay Trek has been chosen as one of the 25 best Treks in the World, by National Geographic Adventure Travel Magazine.
- Hike to Machu Picchu on Salkantay trek 5D/4N.
- Hike above 4650 m.a.s.l
- See the sunrise in Machu Picchu from the Guardian House
- Explore the landscapes on alternative Salkantay Trek
- Explore Machu Picchu
By booking this trip, you will be helping provide a special Christmas breakfast for low income children in Cusco.
DAY 1: CUSCO - MOLLEPATA – CHALLACANCHA – SORAYPAMPA
We will rise around 4:30 and drive approximately 4 hours from Cusco to Mollepata. We will stop for 40 minutes to have a breakfast in a local restaurant and provide you with an opportunity to purchase any last minute supplies. From Mollepata we will continue for 1 more hour until we arrive at Challacancha where we will meet with our support staff who will organize and package all the duffel bags on horses and mules. From there we’ll hike to Soraypampa (3900 m.a.s.l) for 4 hours, the first section of the path is a paved rock trail which is the old water channel that still supplies water to new habitants. We reach our campsite, where we have lunch. After lunch we’ll climb up the Humantay Mountain for 2 hours to visit the Humantay Lake, an impressive lake in the mountains. We then descend back to camp at Soraypampa. There you will have a cup of tea, mate de coca, coffee, chocolate, etc. and you can rest until dinner is served.
DAY 2: SORAYPAMPA - SALKANTAY MOUNTAIN – COLLPAPAMPA
We rise for an early breakfast and as soon as possible we’ll hike to the high pass of Salkantay mountain(4750 m.a.s.l) , the total distance is 7 kilometers in approximately 3 or 4 hours. Here we will enjoy the stunning landscape where you will also see heaps of stones called Apachetas that was an offering to the Pachamama (mother earth) . From here we descend for 1 hour to Wayracmachay (3,800m) where we have lunch and a rest. Then we will enjoy a 3 hour hike to our campsite in Collpapampa.
DAY 3: COLLPAPAMPA – LA PLAYA – SANTA TERESA
We have one more early breakfast to start our hiking day where we will go straight to la playa and visit some local families in the Santa Teresa valley. Here we will have the option to taste all the organic fruits and products that we want, like oranges, papayas, passion fruit, coffee, chocolate, etc. After walking 16 kilometers in 5 hours we will arrive at La Playa village (if you need to buy some snacks, or drinks, here is the moment to do so) from here we will catch a bus and ride for 45 minutes to Santa Teresa to our base camping site. We recommend visiting the hot springs in Santa Teresa town to have a relaxing moment after the hard journey. We will then journey back to the basecamp for dinner.
DAY 4: SANTA TERESA – HYDROELECTRIC – AGUAS CALIENTES
At 7:00 am. We will have breakfast and start our day with the fast action-packed activity of zip lining. You will cross the valleys using 6 different cables which are more than 700 meters in length. This is exciting and relaxing after long days of walking. We will continue our journey from here on a bus for 30 minutes to the Hydroelectric where we have lunch and then walk for 3 hours more stopping near the Urubamba river. From this point you will have the first views of Machu Picchu city from the bottom of the mountain. This is a relaxing and easy walk where the ground is 90% flat. We will then arrive at Aguas Calientes to have a dinner and spend the night in the Hotel.
DAY 5: AGUAS CALIENTES – MACHU PICCHU ¬ - CUSCO
Let’s take the first bus to Machu Picchu leaving at 5:30 am. After 30 minutes, the bus will stop at the check point and we will show our tickets to the park admissions staff. Later we will explore the most important zones of the city with our guide. After the tour you will be given the opportunity to walk around the city on your own. When the day is almost over we will return to Aguas Calientes to catch the train to Cusco.Book Now
- 1 night hotel in Aguas Clientes
- 3 nights of tents in the camping sites
- Professional hiking guide for Salkantay trek
- 4 breakfasts; 4 lunches; 4 Dinners
- 1 World Heritage Site visited
- One of the Seven Wonders of the World visited
- 1 hike to Machu Picchu by Salkantay
- Explore all the alternative Salkatay trek has to offer
- Explore Humantay lagoon
- Explore Machu Picchu
- 1 buses ticket from Aguas Calientes to Machu Picchu
- Train ticket for return trip to Cusco
- All park entrance tickets
- Zip lining
- Tips for the guide on Salkantay trek
- Lunch in Aguas Calientes
- Extras (water, snacks and other items not in the itinerary )
- Backpack between 20 y 30 liters (a backpack with chest and waist strap, this will help to distribute the weight and having side pockets for small items).
- Backpack waterproof layer
- Loose pants and better long
- Feather coat and waterproof jacket.
- Gloves and skullcap.
- Trekking shoes with thick orm.
- Micro fiber or wool socks.
- Walking sticks.
- Sunscream and glasses.
- Mosquito repellent.
- Original passport.
- Purifiying pills.
- Personal higiene items.
- Torch with replacement battery.
- Sleeping bag.
- Extra Money to tipping guides, cookers and porters.